Wednesday 13 March 2013

A Pail of Pennies for the Housekeeper

Kenya Dung Beetle
All  housekeepers, who clean for a living, have a pail  with their essential tools of the trade.  Glass cleaner, cloths, spot removers etc.  Their pail is a 'catch all'.  For 9 years, I have used the same pail, and to no surprise, I have never cleaned it.  I suppose that would be like vacuuming the vacuum cleaner.  The thought has never occurred to me, until yesterday.  The reason being, there is spare change at the bottom of my bucket.  For 9 years, I have tossed in the odd coin, left behind by guests, either on purpose or dropped on the floor.

Treasury Canada has announced there will no longer be a Canadian penny.  I have noticed this transition at most shops now, the value is rounded off and no pennies exchange hands.  Thinking, It's a good thing I don't collect  jars of change.  Yes, I am free from this financial burden.  Whoa, what about the pail?  Then occurred to me, I have a pail of change.  I poured my bounty out and started to count.   In 9 years I have collected $10.00 in small change.  Ten dollars that I didn't have two days ago.  I am now penniless.

These is my picture of a dung beetle, from Kenya.  He can roll a ball 10 times his size. The eggs are layed inside the ball and the ball of dung feeds the larvae.  How cool is that!


No comments: